Local Roasted Greenhouse Tomato and Bell Pepper Sauce (with greenhouse eggplant & rigatoni)
Olive Oil 125ml
BC Greenhouse Eggplant, large dice 250g (2 small eggplants)
BC Greenhouse Red Bell Pepper, large dice 100g
BC Greenhouse Yellow Bell Pepper, large dice 100g
Yellow Onion, large dice 200g
Garlic, whole 4 cloves
BC Greenhouse Chili’s, seed removed 2-4
BC Greenhouse Tomatoes (any variety) 900g
(if using whole tomatoes, dice large or keep grape or cherry tomatoes whole)
Large Basil Leaves, chiffonade 8
Dried Eigatoni or Penne 225 g
1. Place eggplant on a parchment lined baking tray, drizzle with half the oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Place peppers, onion, garlic, chilis and tomatoes on another parchment lined baking tray and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place both trays into a 375F oven and roast the vegetables for 10 minutes.
4. Remove vegetables from the oven. Set the eggplant aside and place remaining vegetables into a non-reactive sauce pot.
5. Blend the vegetables using a hand blender until desired consistency is reached.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add roasted eggplant and fresh basil.
8. Cook pasta following package directions.
9. Combine sauce and pasta and serve immediately.
This recipe courtesy of BC Agriculture in the Classroom