Spanish Style Crispy Egpplant
2 small eggplant
1 cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
Oil for frying
1 Cup all purpose flour
Maple Syrup or Honey substitute for drizzle after frying
1 tbsp of arrowroot flour
Smoked paprika for garnish
Fresh herbs for garnish
1 tbsp fresh thyme, rosemary
- Wash eggplant, and pat dry
- Slice the eggplant length and then in half, or in rounds, and then add to a bowl. Add the oatmilk and allow the eggplant to soak in the oat milk for 1 hour. This softens the eggplant improves flavor.
- In a medium bowl, add the all purpose flour, arrowroot flour, pinch of salt, and fresh herbs and lightly whisk together with a fork.
- Remove eggplant slices from the oatmilk. Shake off excess oatmilk, and then dip the eggplant slices in the flour.
- In a thick cast pan, add enough oil for frying, about ½ inch deep. Heat the oil on medium-high heat. Once the oil is bubbling lightly, add a slice of the flour covered eggplant and test fry. The eggplant should crisp to a golden brown.
- Dredge the slices and fry them until golden brown, turning once. Then remove from the pan and place on clean, brown paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Place the slices on a plat, sprinkle with a little fresh herbs, smoked paprika, and drizzle with a honey alternative such as Mindful Fud’s Hunnie.